Opinion writing plays a vital role in explanatory, features and watchdog journalism, and is important in a thriving democracy. This four-day seminar, funded by the Association of Opinion Journalists, will foster the diversity of voices necessary in the profession and train the next generation of opinion writers from a wide spectrum of backgrounds. The seminar will focus on fact-based opinion writing — and using social media to spark a conversation — across digital and other platforms.
You’ll learn the skills to:
- Develop and hone your arguments, presenting these arguments effectively and persuasively
- Support your arguments using solid research and reporting
- Strengthen your reporting skills with an emphasis on fairness and accuracy
- Maximize your journalistic success on digital and social media platforms — using social media to build your brand, present your ideas and spark a conversation
- Generate strong ideas for your opinion pieces, broadening your access to diverse points of view
- Focus your ideas, developing a compelling pitch to editors
COST: This seminar is being offered at no charge to selected participants based in the United States. Slots are limited. The program sponsors will cover tuition and hotel costs. A small travel stipend will be available. More details will follow after the selection process.